Monday, December 10, 2018

Where Did God Come From?


“In the beginning God…” This opening line of the Bible continues to intrigue me.  Have you ever noticed that God never attempts to explain or defend His existence in the Scriptures?  I remember asking my mom when I was a kid, “Where did God come from?  Who made God?”

Perhaps like you, natural curiosity drove me to wonder. As humans, we understand beginnings from endings.  I was born on March 9, 1956 (beginning) and someday I will die (ending), as far as this life is concerned.

Ours is a walk of faith.  We believe in those things “not seen.”  Humans are driven to believe in something or Someone bigger and more powerful.  Innately, we “believe in” and seek after those things beyond us.  The Atheist says, “There is no God.”  The Agnostic says, “I’m not sure.  The jury is still out.”  The Humanist says, “I am a god!”  The Christian says, “In the beginning God…” On and on the philosophers of this world wax eloquently! 

I’m not a theologian, but this one thing I believe:  Creation necessitates a Creator and designs presuppose a Designer.  In my mind, to believe that a cosmic blast of some sort brought what we know into existence requires more faith than to believe “In the beginning God…”

We read the phrase, “In the beginning” at least twice in the Scriptures:

“In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth” (Genesis 1:1)

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God” (John 1:1).

Our God has no beginning and no ending.  He’s always been!  Jesus WAS before Bethlehem!  That little boy was Bethlehem’s Baby and eternity’s God!  There’s never been a time when Jesus wasn’t!  Do you understand?  I don’t either, but I believe it.  If our God were easy to understand, He wouldn’t be much of a God.

Genesis 1:1 and John 1:12 are best understood in the context of eternity.  Both are timeless.  The word “beginning” in both verses perhaps is best interpreted, “In eternity past…” Eternity suggests no beginning and no ending.   Those who love Jesus Christ and have trusted Him for their soul’s salvation will spend eternity with Him.  We will never die again. We will live forever! 

When I think about all this, my mind is taken to inexplicable heights.  But in my heart, I believe that “God has set eternity in the human heart” (Ecclesiastes 3:11).  In every human soul is a God-given awareness that there is “something more” than this transient world.  And with that awareness comes a hope that we can one day find a fulfillment not afforded by the “vanity” in this world.  This I believe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Inscriptions

None of us is getting out of here alive!  Death is imminent, and it is considered by most morbid to discuss.  And I get it!  Life is preciou...