Monday, December 17, 2018

The Checkbook Challenge


“Put your money where your mouth is.”  Have you heard this spoken?  I’ve said it many times, not fully realizing its truth.

What do you value most?  Go to your checkbook ledger and find out!  Jesus said, “Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also” (Matthew 6:21).  

We spend our money on those things that are important to us.  As we conclude another year, perhaps it’s time to re-evaluate our priorities.  Money is a tool that helps us to attain what we both need and want.  I get it.  Someone said, “Money is not important.”  However, when you don’t have enough and you can’t pay your bills, buy groceries or fill your tank, you may wish to re-think such an opinion!

Certainly, money IS important!  And it’s also a gauge.  I have counseled teenagers and young adults, who possessed the latest in cell phones, 52-inch TV screens with over 300 accompanying cable channels; numerous video games, laptop computers, along with more of the latest technology.  And most of them ate out at least 4-5 times each week.  Sadly however, some of them were facing foreclosure on their mortgage, repossession of their automobile, possible eviction from their rental.  Such a predicament mandates reprioritizing.  Would you agree?

I recently took the “Checkbook Challenge.”  Before I did, I asked the Lord to help me make any necessary adjustments in my spending habits.  If you pay your bills online, then take the “Online Challenge!”

It really is true.  Your spending habits may need to be adjusted!  A family night with Scrabble and popcorn is certainly cheaper than movie tickets!

If you are a Christ follower, ask yourself, “Does my giving to my local church or ministry in general reflect my passion and love for Christ, or do I need to re-evaluate my position?” 

“Have I allowed other things (treasures) to steal away my love for Christ and His church?”  Your church deserves your support and your heart!  I say this not because I’m a pastor seeking an offering.  I say this because you need heaven’s backing in your finances in the coming new year!  It’s a fact that we can’t make withdraws if we don’t make deposits. 

Placing God’s tithe and our offerings into heaven’s bank account will insure our on-going financial protection and blessings in the days ahead.  God promised us through the prophet Malachi that He would rebuke the devourer (those things that try to steal or destroy our financial security) if we would put the Lord first in our spending:  “And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the works of your ground, nor will your vine in the field cast its grapes, says the Lord of hosts” (3:11).  That promise, made to a bunch of farmers, goes for all who understand that money given to support God’s work provides heavenly dividends and earthly security.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Inscriptions

None of us is getting out of here alive!  Death is imminent, and it is considered by most morbid to discuss.  And I get it!  Life is preciou...