Monday, August 17, 2020

The Trinity


The Trinity.  Hard to understand.  And difficult to explain.  But I’m so thankful for God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. 


Trinitarians have been accused of believing in three God’s but the Scriptures make it clear:  “Hear, O Israel!  The Lord is our God, the Lord is one” (Deuteronomy 6:4)!  Perhaps the most poignant illustration of the “Three in One” occurs at the baptism of Jesus. “After  being baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened, and He saw the Spirit of God descending as a dove and lighting on Him, and behold, a voice out of the heavens said, “‘This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased” (Matthew 3:16-17).  


God the Father spoke from heaven, God the Son came up out of the water, and God the Spirit descended as a dove.  Three in One!


While the Scriptures make it clear that we worship only One, we affirm that He’s one God, eternally existent in three Persons -- Father, Son and Holy Spirit.  Another explanation uses the word “role” to discuss the Trinity.  Perhaps these are feeble attempts to explain the unexplainable!


How do we teach children about the Trinity?  My wife uses the following object lesson, which helps bring clarity to this wonderful mystery:  She places a pan full of ice on the stove.  Within a few minutes of course, the ice begins to melt and then boils, releasing steam into the air.  The ice is gone, the steam evaporates and water remains in the bottom of the pan.  Then she says, “It’s all water, but in three different forms!”  


I remember how the Trinity operated in my life during my boyhood to draw me into saving grace.  I was always fascinated by the stories of the Old Testament, where I heard about the holiness of God along with His righteous judgments.  I often stared into the sky, feeling the love of the God of nature wash over me.  The Old Testament prophets spoke eloquently and with detailed accuracy of He Who was to come -- God the Son.  Isaiah 53 beautifully foretells the coming of the Suffering Servant!   


Then, when I went to Sunday School and church, I learned about Jesus, Who declares in John 10:30, “I and the Father are one.”  He was God.  During those formative years, God the Spirit continually convinced me that I needed a Savior.  God the Father, God the Son and God the Spirit were all active agents in bringing me to salvation.  How wonderful!


How I praise the Father, Son and Holy Spirit for working in my life!  I love and worship the Lord for His constant and faithful presence.  While the doctrine of the Trinity is not explicit in the New Testament (the word “Trinity” cannot be found), it possesses a triadic understanding of God and contains countless verses that support Trinitarian doctrine.  Following are five:


“Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and the Son and the Holy Spirit” (Matthew 8:19).


“The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit, be with you all” (2 Corinthians 13:14).


“Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit.  And there are varieties of ministries, and the same Lord” (1 Corinthians 12:4-5).


“There is one body and one Spirit, just as also you were called into one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all who is over all and through all and in all” (Ephesians 4:4-6).


“According to the foreknowledge of God the Father, by the sanctifying work of the Spirit, to obey Jesus Christ, and be sprinkled with His blood.  May grace and peace be yours in the fullest measure” (1 Peter 1:2).


Completely understand the Godhead?  Not really!  Love them?  Absolutely!


While in church, we sometimes sing:


“Father, I adore You.  Lay my life beforeYou.  How I love You.”


“Jesus, I adore you.  Lay my life before You.  How I love You.”  And finally, with gusto…


“Spirit, I adore You.  Lay my life before You.  How I love You!”


Oh, worship Him today!  Let the Spirit touch you.  He will draw you to Jesus, Who will present you to the Father, all because of Jesus’ precious blood!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Inscriptions

None of us is getting out of here alive!  Death is imminent, and it is considered by most morbid to discuss.  And I get it!  Life is preciou...