Monday, November 25, 2019

Where Is God?



During times of tragedy people often ask, “Where is God in all of this?”  And I think it’s an honest question.  One that begs a response!

To be sure, life can be difficult and even overwhelming at times.  We need help from above!  We need One greater than we to carry us through such times.  I love David’s prayer in Psalm 63:1-3, “Hear my cry O God; give heed to my prayer.  From the end of the earth I call to You when my heart is faint.  Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.  For You have been a refuge for me.”

During heart-wrenching times we need to know that someone cares, that someone is “there.”  So, where is the Lord when circumstances come crashing down around us?  When the doctor’s report is hard to accept?  When loved ones face their mortality?  When we face substantial losses of all kinds?

Another psalm, one of my favorites, reminds us that God is NEAR during these times.  “The Lord is near to the brokenhearted, and saves those who are crushed in spirit” (Psalm 34:18).  His presence is near and dear! 

My friend, we can live without a lot of things in this world, but we cannot live without His wonderful presence.  His presence sustains us when the storms of life threaten to harm or even destroy us.  I can’t imagine not having Jesus in my life.  To turn to anyone or anything else constitutes a cheap substitute.  No one, nowhere, no how can replace the life-giving presence of God! 

Again, I ask, “Where is the Lord?”  And again, I say, “The Lord is near to all who call upon Him, to all who call upon Him in truth” (Psalm 145:18).

Song writer Gordon Jensen beautifully answered this question when he penned the lyrics of “The Mention of His Name.”

“In the very thought of Jesus His presence can be found.
He’s as close as the mention of His Name.  
There is never any distance between my Lord and me.  
He’s as close as the mention of His Name.”

“In my hour of struggle so many times I’ve found 
He’s as close as the mention of His Name. 
Just to breathe the Name of Jesus can turn everything around.  
He’s as close as the mention of His Name.”

How wonderfully true!  Take time today to pull up on YouTube JanetPascal singing this powerful song.  She sings under a powerful anointing.  His presence will fill your heart!

Christmas is coming and with it comes another confirmation that God is with us.  As a matter of fact, the prophet Isaiah foretold the coming of the Christ Child 600 years before Bethlehem’s baby was born:  “Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign:  Behold a virgin will be with child and bear a son, and she will call His name Immanuel (7:14).

Centuries later the angel of the Lord appeared in a dream to a perplexed Joseph and said, “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife; for the Child who has been conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit.” 

And then the angel quoted Isaiah: “BEHOLD, THE VIRGIN SHALL BE WITH CHILD AND SHALL BEAR A SON, AND THEY SHALL CALL HIS NAME IMMANUEL, WHICH TRANSLATED MEANS, ‘GOD WITH US.’” (Matthew 1:21,23).

So again, where’s God?  He’s with us!  At Christmas and every day!
     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Inscriptions

None of us is getting out of here alive!  Death is imminent, and it is considered by most morbid to discuss.  And I get it!  Life is preciou...