Monday, November 4, 2019

The Right Tools



Have you ever tried to complete a task without having the proper tool(s)?   It’s frustrating!

Some weeks ago, I decided to cut off two dead limbs from a tree in our front yard.  I found a dull hand saw in my tool shed and went to work.  Two hours later, the limbs were still attached to the tree and I was completely worn out and admittedly very upset.

All that hard work created open sores on both hands and aching muscles.  Why?  Because I did not use the right tool.  I needed a chainsaw!

Sadly, many go through life without discovering the right “tools” to make it easier.  Life at best brings difficult days, so we need to use the tools God has given us to help navigate our years.  What are some of the most important “tools” we need?

1.  We need to place our faith in the saving grace of Jesus Christ.  We need SALVATION.  “And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that is given among men by which we must be saved” (Acts 4:12).  

2.  We need a daily re-fueling (IN-FILLING) of power to help us be effective witnesses.  “You will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest parts of the earth” (Acts 1:8). 

3.  We need the BIBLE.  The Bible is God’s Word and our roadmap for success.  I once heard Billy Graham say, “The Bible will keep you from sin, or sin will keep you from the Bible.”  The psalmist understood the need of connecting with God when he said, “Thy word have I hidden in my heart that I might not sin against God” (Psalm 119:11).  How true!  When we read the Bible, we literally ingest the life of God.  “My words are spirit and they are life” (John 6:63). 

4.  We need to PRAY.  Prayer to the believer is what oxygen is to the body.  It is life-giving and life-sustaining.  God invites us to pray so that heaven comes to earth!  “Let Your kingdom come, Your will be done on earth, as it is in heaven” (Matthew 6:10).  He has given us both the privilege and authority to pray so that when we come into agreement with His Word, we receive help in our time of need.  “Let us draw near with confidence that we may receive mercy and find grace in the time of need.” (Hebrews 4:16).

5.  We need the LOCAL CHURCH.  None of us were made to do it alone.  Life is rewarding and wonderful when we come alongside other believers who encourage us.  The love, accountability, teaching, friendships, and many other benefits we experience in Christian community cannot be equaled elsewhere.  When sinners saved by grace gather to worship, heaven kisses earth, “and we which were dead in our transgressions, (are) made alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised up with him in heavenly places in Christ Jesus.”   I can’t imagine not having a local church to call “family and home.”  Percentage wise today, fewer in America are making church a regular part of their lives.  And mores the pity! 

6.   Finally, we need PEACE.  To know Jesus is to know peace, and “No Jesus” leads to “no peace.”  He is the peace-giver!  I can’t imagine not having Him in my life.  When life circumstances threaten to overwhelm me, I count on His peace to sustain me and to keep me on track.  “And the peace of God that surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:7).    

How we need Him today and every day!  He has given us these tools, among others, to experience life to its fullest – and the one to come!    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Inscriptions

None of us is getting out of here alive!  Death is imminent, and it is considered by most morbid to discuss.  And I get it!  Life is preciou...