Monday, April 8, 2019

God's Will for Your Life?



I remember wondering that very question when I was a teenager.  It seemed to me that finding God's will was such a mysterious, hard-to-understand issue--almost a shot in the dark!  
David says in Psalm 48:8, "I delight to do Your will, O my God..."  Another often-quoted verse pertaining to the will of God is Romans 12:2, "And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect."

A lot of Christians talk about the perfect and permissible will of God, using this verse as a support.  However, I don't have time or space to elaborate on this teaching.  Another verse that comes to mind is found in 1 Thessalonians 4:3, "For this is the will of God, your sanctification..."  Paul specifically mentions sanctification as it relates to possessing our "vessel (body) in sanctification and honor."

From these passages and more, we discover that God does have a plan and purpose for our lives.  We also learn that above all, His will is that we allow the Holy Spirit to sanctify our lives--in these cases, our minds and bodies.

This subject cannot be adequately treated in this venue, but allow me to offer two principles that I have always operated by when it came to the specific will of God in my life:

1.  First, I believe the will of God is tied in to the gifts and desires God places within each one of us.  
In Psalm 37:4, David says to "Delight yourself in the Lord; And He will give you the desires of your heart."  God does not want us to simply exist.  He desires that we walk in "fullness of joy."  He will not require you to go through life unfulfilled.  He has placed within you special gifts and talents to use for His glory.

What do you like to do?  What incites passion in your life?  What motivates you toward excellence?  What do you often think about?  What desires and assignments has God placed within your spiritual DNA?

God will sponsor what He initiates!

Ask Him to fine-tune your desires.  Remember, "Your steps are ordered" (Psalm 37:23).  God is not an Indian giver.  What He deposits inside you, He wishes to use!  But please, try to avoid a "hocus-pocus, waving the magic wand" mentality when it comes to knowing the will of God for your life.  Don't make it so mystical or super-spiritual.  However, don't be surprised either if God uses another believer to confirm what He's already placed within your heart!

2.  Second, I believe the will of God is always accompanied by perfect peace.  
"The steadfast of mind You will keep in perfect peace, because he trusts in You" (Isaiah 26:3). When making important decisions in life, I refuse to move ahead until I experience God's perfect peace regarding the matter at hand.

When my son Zach began driving, he and I went car shopping.  He found a car that he could both afford and one he really liked.  He talked to the dealer and made arrangements to sign the necessary papers the following day.  However, as the day wore on, he became more and more unsettled.  Neither did I have peace about the car.  When I shared my concerns with Zach, he proceeded to share his hesitations with me.  Later, circumstances proved us right, and we were both so glad we did not follow through with the purchase.  The peace of God saved the day (or in our case, a lack of peace).

The will of God is such a vast subject to discuss; however, I've touched upon two very critical principles, which I feel strongly factor into this subject.  I hope this abbreviated discussion helps you walk in God’s continued will.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Inscriptions

None of us is getting out of here alive!  Death is imminent, and it is considered by most morbid to discuss.  And I get it!  Life is preciou...