Monday, November 19, 2018

God's Wonderful Track Record



I admit it.  I tend to worry, especially when it comes to money, and more specifically, retirement.  The other day I heard something about Social Security that further threatened my peace.  I heard a colleague say, “There will be no Social Security left when we need it” (Not sure where she got her facts).  Immediately, fear grabbed my heart, as I allowed the enemy to weave his lies into the fabric of my future.  Then something wonderful and supernatural happened.  I heard the Lord say, “I’ve been faithful to you over the years and I will continue to be faithful.  Trust Me!” Peace from above calmed my heart. 

My mind raced back to my senior year at Jefferson Area High School.  Graduation was coming and I had no idea how I was going to finance my college education.  By faith I applied to attend Evangel University in Springfield, Missouri and was accepted.

In April 1974, I learned that a foundation in Conneaut, Ohio was offering scholarships to qualified applicants.  Upon inquiry I discovered that I met the necessary preliminary requirements, so I applied to the George J. Record School Foundation for assistance.  And guess what?  Their mission statement lined up with my need!

It said, “In accordance with its mission, the foundation makes grants to very good students from Ashtabula County, Ohio, attending private, non-state supported, accredited colleges or universities affiliated with a religion of a Protestant denomination.  Grants are confined to residents of Ashtabula County, Ohio.”

God matched my need to their requirements!  Four years later I graduated from EU with only a $3,000 student loan balance!  God proved Himself faithful.

Over the years God has continued to prove Himself faithful in our finances.  We raised four children and when I look back I ask myself, “How did we do it?”  The answer:  God’s continued faithfulness.  I can recount story after story when the Lord helped us with financial issues.  I remember what the late radio evangelist C.M. Ward said about God’s faithfulness: “God will always meet our needs, but sometimes He’ll scare us!”  Been there, experienced that!

Now at 62, I find that television and radio advertisements about retirement income tend to place fearful thoughts in the minds of baby boomers.  I refuse to allow Wall Street, my 401k or the Social Security Administration to dictate my faith.  I choose to put my faith in Jehovah-Jireh, the Lord Who provides.  If these advertisements are correct, most Americans do not have enough money for their retirement years.  And if we choose to dwell on current savings ratios, we end up fearing the future. 

Yes, save your money.  Yes, do what you can in your youth and wage earning years to prepare for your financial future.  But when it comes down to it, life is uncertain and unpredictable.  We need the Lord to be our financial advisor!  He is our Provider. 

God used the George J. Record Foundation in my youth to unexpectedly meet my need for college tuition.  And this same God of my upcoming retirement years will continue to meet my needs “according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:19).  He has a wonderful track record.  His faithfulness is unsurpassed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Inscriptions

None of us is getting out of here alive!  Death is imminent, and it is considered by most morbid to discuss.  And I get it!  Life is preciou...