Monday, October 1, 2018

Just Saying!



They go to church.  They go to restaurants.  They follow us to the dinner table.  They travel in cars.  They compete with group activities.  They rudely interrupt eye-to-eye contact.  They steal our focus.  They silence conversations in progress.  They frustrate and interrupt valuable one-on-one time between couples and people in general. 

They are cell phones.

Recently my wife and I were enjoying dinner out.  While waiting for our order, I noticed the full room was amazingly quiet.  When I further investigated, here’s what I saw:  Most everyone in the restaurant was on his/her cell phone and paying no attention to the people in their party.  It saddened me.  What was wrong with that picture?

I have an axe to grind.  How did we survive before cell phones?  We went from party lines, to pay phones, to personal landlines to all consuming cell phones.  I too have embraced this communication revolution.  But I will not allow my cell phone to incarcerate me.  I make it a point to put it down throughout my day.

Okay, most of us have them.  That’s a fact.  But can we at least set them aside or silence them during dinner, when sitting in church, while driving, at the restaurant, at bedtime, during family get-togethers, while engaged in one-on-one conversations, or while we spend time with ones we love?

Cell phones are robbing us from the three ways Jesus communicated:  “That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked at and our hands have touched – this we proclaim concerning the Word of life” (1 John 1:1).  When the Master spoke, He was heard, seen and could be touched.  These are vital components to effective communication.

Okay, I have grinded my axe enough, but will you at least give what I’ve said some kind of consideration?  I miss hearing, seeing and lovingly touching others with whom I converse.  Can we welcome back the fine arts of listening, watching and appropriately touching the people with whom we verbally engage? 

Cell phones and other communication venues are here to stay, but we don’t have to continue sacrificing the necessity and joy of effective communication as demonstrated by our Lord.

Just saying!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Inscriptions

None of us is getting out of here alive!  Death is imminent, and it is considered by most morbid to discuss.  And I get it!  Life is preciou...