Monday, September 4, 2017

The Power of an Invitation



The Bible is full of invitations.  And invitations require a response.  When I was 20 years old, I invited my wife to the movies, and that invitation led to us to date and eventually marry.  I’m so glad she accepted my invitation! 

Following are two often quoted invitations that God sent to us in His Word:

“Come unto me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest” (Matthew 11:28).
 
I stand at the door and knock.  If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me” (Revelation 3:2).

Invitations draw people to parties, graduations, new car purchases, weddings, dinners, and a host of other life experiences.  Invitations carry power!



I am a follower of Christ because of an invitation.  A pastor and his wife visited my boyhood home and invited my family and me to their church.  I was captured by their love and sincerity.  Their invitation eventually led to my salvation and personal call into ministry.  God’s invitations, quickened by the Holy Spirit, produce Kingdom results!

When my wife and I held “Meet and Greets” in 2013 to begin Hope Community Church, I called my friend, David Barnum, to invite him to check it out.  That invitation produced a renewed friendship (going back to childhood), and a dedicated leader in our new church!

Some time back, a friend of ours invited my wife and me to dinner.  Her invitation resulted in another team member for Lori’s next trip to Kenya and a generous gift to our building fund at Hope Community.  Isn’t God wonderful?


We have pastored several congregations, always asking the Lord to send people into those churches.  Our intentions were good, but I’m afraid misdirected.  We overlooked the power and necessity of invitations!

That’s why I constantly encourage our “family” at Hope Community to invite people to services.  God beautifully uses the influence of relationships –friends and family – to give us in-roads into their lives.  Invitations to church, coupled with already established relationships, many times yield kingdom results.  I’ll forever be grateful to my first pastors for inviting my family to church. 

By the way, that invitation produced two ministers of the gospel.  My oldest brother, Dan, has pastored several United Methodist congregations.  Our roots go back to that same invitation. 

Go ahead.  Invite someone today to sit beside you in church next Sunday! 
  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Inscriptions

None of us is getting out of here alive!  Death is imminent, and it is considered by most morbid to discuss.  And I get it!  Life is preciou...