Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Off My Rocker


If I had my way, every chair in my house would be a rocking chair.  When I was still in diapers, I'd sit in the middle of the floor and rock.  Today, when I visit in homes, I search for a rocker.  I think they should design pews that rock.  Occasionally, I notice myself rocking in straight back chairs.  I don't mind waiting outside for a table at Cracker Barrel, because I get to enjoy "rocking chair row."  Maybe I'm off my rocker!

While still using a high chair, I refused to eat toast unless it was first rubbed on the floor.

Why did I develop such quirks?  Maybe I need counseling.  Perhaps these oddities were warning signs of things to come.  Perhaps God was preparing me for the weird times in ministry.  Who knows?  My Aunt Dorlene still laughs about my eccentricity.  She let me rock and gave me all the toast I wanted--dirt and all!

I'm just glad God never asked me to preach an illustrated sermon by walking around naked for three years.  Do you remember when God used Isaiah to demonstrate the humiliation that Egypt and Cush would experience at the hands of the Assyrians?  "At that time the Lord spoke through Isaiah son of Amoz.  He said to him, 'Take off the sackcloth from your body and the sandals from your feet.' And he did so, going around stripped and barefoot" (Isaiah 20:2).  Don't you imagine that the nation of Judah thought Isaiah was off his rocker!

I'd rather rock without a rocker and rub my toast on the floor any day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Inscriptions

None of us is getting out of here alive!  Death is imminent, and it is considered by most morbid to discuss.  And I get it!  Life is preciou...