Monday, February 19, 2018

Lead Me to the Rock



Life has a way of pulling us down. Downward spirals into discouragement, depression and even despondency result when we fail to keep “looking up.”  The enemy of our soul wants to ground us.  He whispers, “I will use your circumstances to destroy you.” But he cannot as long as we look to the “Rock!”

David, the psalmist-king of Israel, wrote in Psalm 61:1-3, “Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer.  From the ends of the earth I call to you.  I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I.  For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe.”

David was heart broken.  His son Absalom had staged a coup to overthrow him as king.  Like his father, the son was handsome and charismatic but Absalom was spoiled – a narcissist.  We read about him in 2 Samuel 15-17. 

Because he listened to the wrong advice from self-seeking friends, he plotted against his father to take away the throne.  His plot was well executed.  He used his position as prince to win the hearts of the people by subtly undermining the authority and favor of the king.

By most casual observers, Absalom would have made an excellent king, and the people loved him, but he lacked the inner character and self-control needed to be a good leader.  His appearance, skill and position did not make up for his lack of personal integrity.

Can you imagine David’s inner turmoil as he fled the palace to find refuge from his dearly loved son?  Absalom had gathered enough public support to potentially overthrow David.  However, David mustered adequate military support to defeat Absalom’s troops, and 20,000 men lost their lives in battle. Think about it.  One man’s self-love and rebellion led to the destruction of thousands!

When the battle turned and Israel’s impending victory became evident, Absalom fled from the chaos.  His long hair became entangled in the low branch of an oak tree, pulling him off his donkey. 

As the would-be-king struggled mid air to free himself, he was killed by Joab, Commander in Chief of David’s army.  Upon hearing the news of Absalom’s death, a grief-stricken father cried, “O my son Absalom! O Absalom, my son, my son” 2 Samuel 19:33)!

It was against this backdrop that David wrote, “Lead me to a rock that is higher than I.”  When hidden away in the desert, David must surely have seen the majestic rock formations around him.  He perhaps felt despondent about the rebellious intentions of his son, while noting the safety of his position – surrounded by a natural rock fortress. 

David’s words remind us of our Rock – the one we hold to during the overwhelming and seemingly helpless circumstances of life.  Our Rock is Jesus!  He is our refuge.  He is our strong tower in the day of trouble.  We can run to Him and find safety.

David said, “Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.”

I’m so thankful that Jesus towers above the difficulties of our lives.  He is the “Rock of our salvation, “ and as we run to Him He lifts us above those things that threaten to destroy us.  In David’s case, it was his precious son.  Imagine the mixed emotions of the king. 

We too go through extremely difficult days when we can run to the Rock and find peace and protection.  Run to the Rock today!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Inscriptions

None of us is getting out of here alive!  Death is imminent, and it is considered by most morbid to discuss.  And I get it!  Life is preciou...