Monday, February 26, 2018

Forced Disconnection



In the Gospels we read about Jesus’ need to withdraw from the crowds, daily life activities and the demands of ministry – those times when he got away to a “quiet place” to commune with His Father.  “But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed” (Luke 5:16).  If the Son of Man had to get away from it all, how much more do we?

I’m concerned.

It appears to me that life is too hectic and that many of us are experiencing emotional and mental burnout.  Many too, are forfeiting precious time in the Lord’s life-sustaining presence.  Someone aptly said, “If we don’t come apart and rest awhile, we will surely come apart!” 

My wife and I were discussing this concern the other day when Lori asked, “Why does it seem that some people find it easier to connect with God than others?”  Lori then said, “God’s presence seems to intensify when we experience a 'forced disconnection.'”

What is a “forced disconnection?” 

Whenever we purposefully set aside time to experience the Lord’s presence, and we refuse to allow distractions of any kind, we are practicing a “forced disconnection.”

Going to church with the express intention of worshipping God and listening to the preached Word without interruptions is an example of “forced disconnection.”  When we refuse to allow the concerns and drama of life to distract our worship, we are practicing “forced disconnection.”  Time spent in the Lord’s presence releases the hold that stress tends to exact on our minds.

I loved going to church camp as a kid.  And I remember thinking, “Wow, the presence of God is so much stronger at camp than in my home church.”  In retrospect, this was not true.  The truth was that when I went to camp I experienced a “forced disconnection.”  My heart became tender toward the moving of the Spirit because I was forced to focus on spiritual matters all day, every day.  I experienced the necessity of a “forced disconnection.”  I more easily sensed God’s presence because I did not have outside interruptions.

 Now let’s apply the necessity of “forced disconnection” to our every day life.  Are we turning off the television, withholding commands for “Alexa,” putting our laptop computer on the shelf, silencing our cell phone and getting away from the noise of the day to meet with God?

The Scriptures give this promise:  “Call on Me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.  You will seek Me and find Me when you seek Me with all your heart, I will be found by you,’ declares the Lord…” (Jeremiah 29:13-14).

As I write this, my heart yearns for His deeper presence in my life.  Perhaps like you, I have allowed the cares of life to squeeze out precious time with Him.  The very presence that longs to sustain me, many times is pushed aside for lesser pursuits.  I plan to pursue His presence through “forced disconnection” in the days ahead!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Inscriptions

None of us is getting out of here alive!  Death is imminent, and it is considered by most morbid to discuss.  And I get it!  Life is preciou...