Monday, April 20, 2020

Sudden Change



In the past 24 hours we have gone from having three inches of snow to my wife mowing the yard.  Only in northeastern Ohio! Right?

Life can change on a dime.  This sudden transformation reminded me to not take this COVID-19 quarantine for granted.  For sure, nothing’s the same as before. Who would have guessed that 2020 would require all of  us to navigate these difficult waters? Everyday is a faith adventure.

I’m determined not to squander this uncertain time in my life.  Am I completely comfortable with what’s happening? Of course not!  And I’m sure I speak for you as well. But one thing I know: God is asking me to inventory my life.  Let me explain.

  1. What have I previously taken for granted?   Lori and I are watching the Netflix series, “When Calls the Heart.”  Frankly, I find it a bit unrealistic at times, but the fact remains that love between husbands and wives and people in general is life’s greatest treasure.  Each episode moves me to an emotional edge. I recommend it for your “virus viewing!”

While watching, I occasionally sneak a glance at my wife of almost 43 years, and my heart is gladdened by her presence in my life.  After the Lord, she is the one constant in my life, who loves me unconditionally and completely. I never want to take her for granted!  What loved one(s) do you need to reaffirm today?

  1. Perhaps like you, I have issues in my life that need to be placed under the Lordship of Christ. Not necessarily sin issues, but things that, if confronted and subdued, will enhance my daily living.  For example, I need to watch my food intake. The refrigerator beckons me to open and see! Also, what important tasks have I put off for a better day? In what areas have I procrastinated? Finally, am I “taking every thought captive to the obedience of Jesus Christ” (2 Corinthians 10:5)?  How? By minding my mind! Making sure that unhealthy, negative, impure, and unnecessary thoughts do not crowd out those things that are “true, honorable, right, pure, lovely and of good repute…” (Philippians 4:8).    

  1. During the long hours of quarantine, am I praying more, reading the Scriptures more fervently and waiting for the Lord’s “still small voice” to speak to me?  He promises me “an audience of one!”

  1. Am I using this time to speak into the lives of those I love, without becoming annoying?  Understanding the need to maintain personal space, I text, email, write cards, make calls, and send Facebook and YouTube inspirational messages. Let me encourage you to find communication expressions that work for you, and then make someone’s day!

None of us knows what tomorrow holds, but we know who holds tomorrow.  And as life continues to usher in unexpected, at times, harsh changes, we hold to the Lord’s unchanging hand.  He will walk us safely to the other side of uncertainty!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Inscriptions

None of us is getting out of here alive!  Death is imminent, and it is considered by most morbid to discuss.  And I get it!  Life is preciou...