Monday, July 22, 2019

My Favorite Bible Characters



Do you have a favorite Bible character? I have three.  I refer to them as the "Three J's!"

First, I want to see Jesus!  I have personally known Him for over 48 years.  I celebrated my 48th spiritual re-birth (birthday) on August 4, 2018.  Like you, I'm not sure what I will do when I see Him face to face.  Will I weep?  Will I fall down at His feet and worship Him?  Will I be speechless?  It really doesn't matter.  I just want to see Him!  I've always loved the words to this old chorus:

"It will be worth it all,
When we see Jesus.
Life's trials will seem so small,
When we see Christ.
One glimpse of His dear face,
All sorrow will erase.
So bravely run your race,
'til you see Christ."

This wonderful Jesus changed my life so dramatically, and the older I get, the more precious He becomes!

Second, I want to talk with Joseph.  The boy dreamer faced obstacles on his course that would have sidelined most.  He met with unfair circumstances, false accusations, lonely days, and much rejection.  However, his defining moment was positive and wonderful.  It's found in Genesis 50:20, "As for you (his brothers), you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, in order to bring about this present result to preserve many people alive."  I appreciate Joseph's resolve to remain on the high road of life.  Many would succumb to bitterness for lesser reasons.  He's one of my heroes!

When we meet, I want to ask Joseph for more details about the pit, Potiphar's house, the prison, and finally, his years in the palace of Pharaoh.  By the way, Joseph is a "type" of Jesus in the Old Testament.  There are many parallels to their earthly lives.

Third, when I get to heaven I want to hang out with Jonathan for at least one thousand years!  As you remember, Jonathan was King Saul's son--heir apparent to the throne of Israel.  His most notable attribute was his selflessness.  He surely must have suspected that David would be God's next choice for the throne, but he still loved him like a brother.  When I read 1 Samuel 18:1-4, I glean insights into his character--insights that I admire and relish for my own life.

"Now it came about when he had finished speaking to Saul, that the soul of Jonathan was knit to the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as himself.  Saul took him that day and did not let him return to his father's house.  Then Jonathan made a covenant with David because he loved him as himself. Jonathan stripped himself of he robe that was on him and gave it to David, with his armor, including his sword and his bow and his belt."

Verse 4 says it all:  "Jonathan stripped himself..."  Naturally, his robe was the robe worn by a prince.  When he gave his robe to David, he gave away not only his title, but his influence! What a selfless act!

He also gave away his armor, including his sword, bow and belt.  These items were instruments of war, and by giving them to David, Jonathan further revealed his inner character.

In ancient Israel military life, the sword represented the soldier's key weapon of protection.  In essence, Jonathan was saying, "I'll do anything and everything to protect you.  You're my brother!"  Later, he would prove his commitment when his own father, King Saul, tried to kill David.  The soldier's bow spoke of his inner and physical strength.  Jonathan spent the rest of his life supporting David's dreams and doing everything he could to see that David reached his intended goals!

The soldier's belt of course, held fast his undergarment.  Not only was a tightly worn garment imperative in battle, but it also protected a man's dignity.  Time and again, Jonathan stood up to his angry King-father on David's behalf.  He stayed true to his father, but felt compelled to subtly override Saul's relentless attacks on David's character and motivations.  To summarize, in giving David his robe and armor, Jonathan demonstrated "what's mine is yours."

Jonathan was a man's man--a true man of God.  He beautifully portrayed true friendship toward David.  Most men today don't know how to have true male friends.  Usually, competitive mindsets, controlling attitudes, selfishness, frail egos and disloyalty prohibit most men from becoming and remaining life-long friends like David and Jonathan.  The term “Bromance” is a poor contemporary substitute for the godly relationship between Jonathan and David. I'm looking forward to watching these two friends interact in eternity!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Inscriptions

None of us is getting out of here alive!  Death is imminent, and it is considered by most morbid to discuss.  And I get it!  Life is preciou...